Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society
Non Profit & Organizations & AssociationsCharitable OrganizationsGifts & ApparelRetail Services
In 1948, a small group of young women - several of them pregnant wives of overworked local doctors - got together with the momentous goal of raising funds to build a much-needed hospital in the White Rock/South Surrey area.
The closest hospital at the time was the Royal Columbian in New Westminster – quite a trek when you’re in labour!
Neighbourhoods at this time were mostly joined by dirt roads. This group of young women met in each other’s homes as they had to take care of young kids and the men kept taking the cars! Something about careers?
Unperturbed, this group of women, with their ambitious goal, went door to door collecting funds to start a community hospital. They asked people who wanted to donate to leave their porch lights on, so they knew which doors to knock on!
These women raised $1,000 which was the initial funding for the hospital and marked the beginning of the Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary. The Auxiliary has flourished as a major source of funding for capital equipment and patient comfort for the past 75 years.
Their determination paid off. They raised $1000 for the hospital, and the first two groups of the Auxiliary were formed: Gage Park and Goodwill.
The White Rock Hospital Woman's Auxiliary was born.